Monday, April 27, 2015

Week 94: "ah, Greek people... crazy."

March 30, 2015
 
Good morning, America. I am Elder Bonney.

This week went by pretty quickly. Time is just escaping me... Did you know that two months from right now I'll be home? It's strange to think about -- two months is nothing. Gotta make the most of it while it lasts.

Yesterday, it rained. A lot. And it's been raining a lot this week, so when I say that it rained a lot yesterday, you know I mean a LOT. The wind was also crazy, which only added to the experience. Furthermore, the gears on my bike broke at some point in the last two weeks, and my bike is stuck on the...highest gear. Let's just say that it was a pretty funny sight yesterday afternoone when I was riding my bike uphill, in the rain, absolutely drenched, against the wind, on the highest gear. At some point during this, I was thinking, "wow, this is my mission. Riding a bike in the rain." Then, I just busted out in a huge grin -- my mission has been awesome (even in the moments when you're riding a bike uphill, in the rain, absolutely drenched, against the wind, on the highest gear).

That said, Elder Matos and I had to make a quick stop at the apartment before our dinner appointment, because we looked absolutely ridiculous. We threw our pants and socks in the dryer and changed our pants, socks, and shoes. Unfortunately, I'd forgotten that my jacket is like a sponge whenever it rains, so that was still soaking wet when I put it back on. Oh well.

On Saturday, I had the really cool opportunity to get to go back to Eindhoven on exchanges with the zone leaders. I worked with Elder Holt, another Canadian. (Get this -- my companion, district leader, and one of my zone leaders all come from Canada. Go figure...eh?) We had a good day. It was cool to get to visit and see people I taught and worked with when I was serving there last summer. We visited and taught Genzeer, the Sudanese homie who Elder Alston and I baptized. It was really good to see him -- he opened the door with a big smile and said, "Ah, Mr. Bonney is back!" He's doing well -- he has grown a lot spiritually, and that was cool to see. More recently, he hasn't been going to church as much as he should, but he's working on that. He lived in Greece for a while, and Elder Holt decided to tell Genzeer that he needs to help me find a Greek girl... Genzeer just laughs and shakes his head, saying, in his Sudanese accent, "ah, Greek people...crazy." Whatever that's supposed to mean.

We also saw a cool couple who we visited almost every week back in the day -- a recently baptized man and his wife, who is a less-active member. It was great to see them, but really sad and awkward...let me try to describe this scene:

Them: "Elder Bonney! You're back! It's good to see you."

Me: "Yeah, it's great to see you guys! How's it going?"

Him: "Ah, it's alright. We've just been busy with moving."

Me: "Oh, yeah? That's exciting. Where are you guys moving?"

Her, pointing at him: "You should ask him where he's going."

Him: "We're splitting up."

...I didn't know what to say. Once I got over the awkwardness of the whole situation, it made me really sad. I'd had so many good memories in their home, a lot of laughs and a lot of good experiences. It was really sad to hear that they're getting a divorce.

It really made me realize that life does go on. Things aren't the same in Eindhoven, and they never will be exactly the same as they were when I was there -- things change, people change. That's life, I guess, and you have to learn to roll with it. Things will happen that I (or we -- everyone, really) won't like, but you have to hang on to the good memories and hope for the best.

Saturday ended with us cooking dinner at the home of some members. That's right -- we cooked dinner. It was pretty fun. I was put in charge of the rice, and I consider myself relatively good at cooking rice without a rice cooker. However, I usually make rice for one, two, maybe four people. We were cooking for ten. Let me just say, after the first attempt, when I took the lid off of the pot, it wasn't steam that came out, but lots of smoke. Way to go, Elder Bonney. Fortunately we had a lot of rice, and the second time, it turned out well. Good thing we have the Atonement.

The work in Tilburg is moving along well -- we're seeing little miracles all the time, and we can tell that the Lord wants us to see success and is willing to help us.

But, I have to go now -- there are places we need to be. Hopefully I'll have some cool miracles to report on next week. Have a great week, and if it's raining, just smile. It makes the rain better.

Peace and blessings,
Elder Bonney
 
I finally got a picture with Elder Matos at zone training on Thursday. Enjoy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment