Monday, April 27, 2015

Week 90: "Do you smell burning rubber?"

March 2, 2015

I feel like it wasn't that long ago that I met up with Elder Pouwer in Leiden on a warm day in September, then drove on up to Alkmaar together so we could whitewash the city. Since then, a lot has happened. I've experienced the widest array of emotions here in Alkmaar -- I've seen some great miracles, and I've had some good struggles.

Well, it's been almost six months since I showed up here with Elder Pouwer, and yesterday evening I was called by President Robinson and told that I would be getting transferred on Wednesday. It's been a good run, Alkmaar.

I'll be transferred to the city of Tilburg, in the south of the Netherlands, where I'll serve my last twelve weeks as a missionary. I'm pretty excited to serve there -- I've worked there a few times on exchanges when I was serving in Eindhoven. I'm going to try to make my last two transfers my best two transfers.

All that aside... this past week was a pretty good week. It started off with Elder Neptune and I going to Amsterdam on P-day and looking for the best pizza in Amsterdam, and how can a week started off like that go wrong? I mean, we later went on to see a street performer in the Dam Square with an awfully obscene mouth who didn't even do anything but swear at the Italian kids who were heckling him, and then we saw a drunk guy pass out in Amsterdam Centraal...but, at least we found good pizza. Another week begins.

On Tuesday, we headed down to Zoetermeer for a zone conference, and I really enjoyed it. There were some great presentations, and after lunch, we watched some video clips from recent publicity the church has been getting in Belgium, including the video "Jan Says Yes to Elder Argueta." (For those who are curious...just go and watch it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNvZfWFb7hA. Elder Argueta's companion in the video is Elder Neptune, my current comp!) Then, President and Sister Robinson surprised us by playing the movie/documentary "Meet the Mormons" for us. Yes, it's definitely worth watching. And yes, it made me miss college football games.

And yes, we still have no car and had to take public transportation back. And yes, there were problems with the trains. And yes, we were an hour and a half late to our dinner appointment. Needless to say, we were all grateful for how understanding the members were that night (and that they still let us come eat).

I got to go on exchanges in the city of Haarlem on Thursday, and it rained all day. We had no appointments until dinner, so we spent most of the day talking to people in the rain... I sometimes wonder how many people we contact in the rain are convinced that we're insane. Actually, sometimes I wonder if I'm insane when I contact people all day in the rain, when my pants...shoes...socks...jacket...well, everything is soaked. The missionary I was with has only been out for about six months, and I just kept thinking, "don't worry, it gets better than this." Not to be cheesy, but you gotta make it through the rainy days to see the sunny ones.

And Friday was a sunny day! I was working with Elder Andrew in Zaandam, and we had a really good day. We taught a lot of lessons and ended it with a sport activity in the Amsterdam church. When we were teaching one of their investigators earlier, we invited him to come, and he agreed to come. He's this big, muscular, friendly Nigerian man, and he was really excited to play...ping pong. We always play a lot of volleyball at the Amsterdam sport night, but he just couldn't wait for ping pong. So, when we got to the church, he played ping pong with one of the missionaries serving in Amsterdam, who is one of the better ping pong players. And our Nigerian friend put his game face on and destroyed this elder at ping pong. We're playing volleyball, and we keep hearing laughter and a deep, African voice coming from the ping pong table, repeatedly saying, "I'm kicking your white butt!" It was great.

Before I forget...this week could have been my last week alive. I was riding Elder da Silva's bike when I was in Zaandam, and, for whatever reason, his bike has no working brakes. I hop on and start riding when Elder Andrew warns me. Right before we proceed to go down a big hill. I would try to brake by dragging my feet on the ground. Later, I couldn't stop and a car failed to yield to me, and I think I almost died. I eventually figured out that if I put my shoe on top of the front tire, it would act as a brake and slow the bike down. Smart, right? Until I started smelling burning rubber, only to discover that that was melting the sole of my shoe. Well...it was worth a shot.

Well, next time I email, I'll be in Tilburg. My time in Alkmaar has been really good for me, but it's time for me to go. I'll miss the members here, and I'll always be grateful for my time here. There's not much more I can say. Surprised?

Keep it real, boys and girls. Until next week!
-Elder Bonney
 
Miley and Tadek came to church again on Sunday, and I got to say goodbye! I'll miss those homies.

At zone conference, with my two Eindhoven companions, Elder Alston and Elder Rudolph. They both go home this Wednesday. Time flies. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment