Monday, April 27, 2015

Week 84: "I think I'm leaving footprints in the carpet..."

January 19, 2015

Well...the Bonney/Pouwer era is over. I never actually thought that I'd do three transfers with the same companion. With my patience level, I'd probably end up killing them and getting put in prison (or even worse -- sent home from my mission). These past four months haven't been half bad, though. Bless Elder Pouwer's heart for putting up with me. I don't know how I'll ever be able to get married and be with the same person forever...but I'll worry about that later.

I've honestly learned a lot, though, here in Alkmaar with Elder Pouwer. I've seen a lot of miracles and made a lot of friendships. Elder Pouwer is now getting transferred, and I...wait for it...will be staying in Alkmaar for another transfer. I'll be going on almost six months in Alkmaar! I hope the branch is ready for this. My new companion will be Elder Neptune, a new zone leader. And we will have no car for a while. More on that next week...

This last week of the transfer went by pretty quickly. We had a lot of exchanges and a lot of appointments -- it was pretty busy. On Wednesday, I got to work once more in the big, old city of Amsterdam with my good friend Elder Besendorfer. It's always good to reminisce on the Groningen days. We were talking about how quickly time has gone by since Groningen -- I mean, a year ago, I was in Lelystad! And two years ago, I already had my mission call. That's a weird realization. A lot has happened since then.

On Thursday, I was working in Leiden with Elder Reynolds, and I hit a mission milestone. We went out contacting in the morning, and we talked to a fair amount of people. It was raining -- not too badly, but still, it was coming down. For some reason, within about half an hour, my shoes were absolutely soaking wet. As in, they were to the point where they were heavy with water. Every time I stepped, some water would get squeezed out, and new water would go in (at least the water was always fresh...). They were sponges. When we got home for lunch, I took off my soaking wet shoes and socks. I took a look at the bottom of my shoes, only to find a long horizontal crack in both of my rubber shoe soles - the source of the problem which made my feet freezing and wet! The only logical conclusion you should have is that I'm a great missionary and spend a lot of time walking around doing great missionary work. (Though, I'm fairly sure that if anyone wore the same pairs of shoes for two years, they would start wearing out, too.) We went to a dinner appointment that night, and the member had us take off our shoes, since it was so wet outside. Surprising as it may sound, my socks were -yes- soaked through. And I ended up leaving wet footprints everywhere I left in the house. I think there was a puddle under the dinner table from my socks by the time we left. Let's hope the members didn't make any irrational assumptions about me...

At least I had another pair of good proselyting shoes. Right? I went home, took a look at the bottom of those ones, and saw the beginning of the same problem. Great. Well, what's life without trials? I'll just have to be careful in the rain. Either way, first pair of shoes worn out by walking so much -- milestone reached. I can finally feel like a good missionary. ;)

In other news, we're seeing some good things here in Alkmaar. Aafje was confirmed a member at church yesterday -- that old homegirl was all smiles. Unfortunately, Carlos has decided to take a break from meeting with us, which is sad. It's always a little heartbreaking to see someone who you've grown to love make a decision which you know will bring them less happiness. You have to let them make their own choices, though. We've found some other investigators, however, and we're working with some great less-actives who should be on the path back to church soon. I have high hopes for the near future in Alkmaar.

I've gotta bounce -- we're going with the Hoorn elders to Volendam to take some classic Dutch pictures as a last hurrah before Elder Pouwer and Elder Hunter leave the branch. I'll have to send those next week!

Take it easy.
-Elder Bonney

No comments:

Post a Comment