Monday, April 27, 2015

Week 86: "Have you ever knocked a windmill before?"

February 2, 2015

I have experienced some of the strangest weather recently... Here's my personal theory: Heavenly Father wanted me to have the true mission experience, bad winter weather and all, so He put made us lose the car right when the real winter weather hits. If the last week sounded rough, this past one was even worse.
Disclaimer: I'm not trying to say that my mission is the coldest mission in the world. The Netherlands isn't that cold of a country -- the temperatures have been hanging around freezing, but it could be a lot colder. However, I would argue that it's one of the windiest -- if not the windiest -- countries in the world. Which makes the cold even worse. Add the wind chill in, and yeah, it can seem pretty bad.
That said... I'll just talk about the weather from one day last week, so we can get "weather talk" out of the way. On Thursday, I was on exchanges with one of the elders serving in Amsterdam. We were, of course, on bikes. We had an appointment in the afternoon with a kind of less-active member, and we talked about the greatest two commandments -- love for God and for other people. At one point, she says, "yeah, it makes sense! If you love others, then you aren't going to hurt them. If you love them, you won't steal from them. If you love them, you won't kill them. Well, at least usually. You know, you could maybe say...well... Yeah, we'll just say you wouldn't kill them." I didn't ask.
Anyway, that's beside the point. We got out of the appointment, then headed to the bus stop and found out that we had fifteen minutes. So, the good missionaries that we are (and this bus stop was close to the middle of nowhere), we went looking for people to talk to. We ended up knocking this small street, and -get this- there was a windmill. A full blown, stereotypical, Dutch windmill. I looked at it, and turned to the elder I was working with. "Have you ever knocked a windmill before?" "No..." "Me neither. Let's do it." We then opened the gate to the yard, walked up to the windmill, and knocked the door. The door we knocked turned out to be the back door, because a man (who looked kind of like a hippie) opened the door on the other end. We went and talked to him. He wasn't interested, but hey -- now I've knocked a windmill, a windmill that someone lived in. I didn't even know people actually lived in those things...
Well, back to the point I was trying to make about the weather... (I'm getting easily distracted today; I must be tired.) So, after getting back from our appointment, we decided to knock this neighborhood. It took about an hour. At first, light rain was falling on us. Then, it started to hail. Hail wasn't right, because it then started to snow. Then, it was snow and rain together. Back to hail...then, a blue sky! Then rain again. All within an hour. The whole time, though, it was windy and cold. We couldn't help but laugh at the weather. When we started biking to our dinner appointment, it started hailing, and I started yelling... The hail was like little BBs coming from heaven. It would sting pretty badly when it hit. Riding a bike made it even worse...but hey, you only serve once. Might as well enjoy this freaky weather.
I forgot to mention -- on Tuesday, Elder Neptune and I gave our zone training on teaching skills. It actually went pretty well. Even with only one week to prepare together, we pulled it off. So yeah.
As far as missionary work goes... well, we've been talking to a lot of people, and slowly but surely, things are progressing. Our Romanian and Polish homies are doing...how can I say this in a refined way...so totally awesome. They were at church again yesterday -- of course. They are doing so well. The only thing really keeping them from baptism is the fact that they are living together and not married. Hopefully that can happen soon...we'll see. I'll be honest, looking back, the Lord has never really let me down on my mission. Everything that didn't seem to work out was never Him neglecting me or the work. So, things will work out the way they need to, I just need to do my best.
In other news, a man walked into the church building yesterday morning for our church service. He said he was just looking for a church, and after dropping by a few others, he decided to come to ours. We taught him a Restoration lesson during Sunday school. Did he turn out to be crazy? Possibly. But hey -- gotta count your blessings.
Keep it classy.
-Elder Bonney
Sister Adams, Elder Neptune, and myself, after our zone training on Tuesday. We pulled it off.

The windmill Elder Fowkes and I knocked in Alkmaar... You know that's right

No comments:

Post a Comment