Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Week 49: "So... the three musketeers, or the three stooges?"

May 19, 2014

There is sunshine in Lelystad today, dames en heren. It's a good day. We made it out of the rain, and we should have sunshine until Friday! Or Thursday. Let's think positively.
 
So, Monday and Tuesday flew by last week -- my last two days with Elder Goates. We had interviews with the mission president on Monday, and we ended up having to split P-day in two, which was a mess. Anyways, on Wednesday morning, Elder Goates and I boarded a train for Leiden, where we met up with other missionaries from the zone. From there, Elder Goates began his trek to Hengelo, and I sat all day in the train station to wait for my companion.
 
Oh, wait. My companion still hasn't arrived. That's right. I had to wait for some other elders in my district to arrive, and I rode back with them. Basically... I spent all of Wednesday in Leiden Centraal. And it was cold. And, for some reason, I was wearing a short-sleeved shirt. I nearly froze to death. Nevertheless, I am still alive -- count your blessings, right?
 
So, yep, I'm in a trio now. I've moved in with the other Lelystad elders, Elder Bishesar and Elder Kettler. When Elder Bishesar found out that we were going to be temporary companions, he says to me, in his funny Suriname accent, "so... the three musketeers, or the three stooges?" I'm still trying to figure that out for myself. Needless to say, we've been having a lot of fun, but being in a trio is a lot different than just having one companion. We had a dinner appointment last night with an awesome family in the branch, and the mother told us that being in a trio is a good test of patience. She says, "it'll prepare you well for marriage." Her husband quickly says to us, "well, not exactly... I really hope that you aren't planning on being married in a trio." Fortunately, I am not. Despite what many people here think, modern-day Mormons are not polygamists.
 
Lately, we've been going on a lot of splits, seeing as there are three of us, and we only need one member to be able to go on splits. I mostly go with the member, and we go to teach the people Elder Goates and I were teaching. It's really tested my teaching skills, too, because many of the members are used to just testifying and sharing experiences in lessons, but not really teaching the principles. So, I end up sometimes doctrinally soloing it. It's an adventure. Anyways, we were going on splits the other day, and I and this young guy from the branch were knocking a street. We knock one door, and a kid comes to the door. He doesn't open it, but just peeks at us through the brievenbus (mail slot) in the front door. We hear him say, "papa! Dat zijn politie!" The member and I just look at each other and try to hold in laughter. No, we aren't police... We hear someone walk hurriedly to the door, and a nice Muslim man opens it. Needless to say, the look of relief on his face was visible. Not police, just some guys coming to talk about Jesus.
 
Yesterday, we were on splits, and Elder Bishesar and I were working together in the centrum. We walked up to one older guy, and I started talking to him. He interrupts me, looks me in the eyes, and says, in distinctly American English, "I don't understand a thing you're saying." Oh... Well, we speak English too. Turns out, he's from California, and was on a trip through Europe. The elders in California live on his street, so if he ever has interest, he told us that he knows where to go. I never quite figured out why he was in Lelystad, though... Not exactly the tourism capitol of the Netherlands. Oh well.
 
Until next week. I should get my new companion on Thursday morning, so that's exciting. I'll have more news next time!
Stay cool, and represent.
--Elder Bonney

No comments:

Post a Comment