Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Week 45: "Sorry to interrupt you, but you have a big spider in your hair..."

April 21, 2014

Wow. What a week. It's a good time to be a missionary.
I'd like to start off by writing about what would, by some, be considered a sensitive topic. Poop. In particular, dog poop. I know what some of you are thinking -- "oh, Elder Bonney is so immature." "Does he REALLY have to share this?" "His letters are usually so uplifting...this really was unnecessary." Well, guys, this is a reality that we, the missionaries of Lelystad, deal with every day.
How to describe this... Here in Lelystad (I can't speak for the entire country of the Netherlands), there is dog poop. Everywhere. On all the grass. On the sidewalks. On the road. Why? I don't know. I've heard that it's legal, and so the dog-owners of Lelystad don't want to pick up their dogs' waste. This is no minor issue, people. Walking on grass used to be a nice thing. Now, I'm afraid to walk on anywhere but the sidewalk (and even there, you aren't safe...). It's frightening, to be honest. And, if I step in that stuff once more, so help me...
Glad that I got that off my chest. Moving on.
The weather is nice and things are enjoyable in the land of the tulips (which are beautiful, by the way). The sun has been shining, and I've been enjoying it. Wearing missionary attire (AKA a collared white shirt and tie) every day has some side effects, though. By that, I mean the upper half of my neck is getting tan (believe it or not, I can tan), while the lower half of my neck is pretty much the same color as my shirt. I can't say that I'm overjoyed with my new style, but hey -- there's sun, so I won't complain.
I've been living in Lelystad for over three months now. In that span of time, I have talked to and met a lot of different people. Take into account that I'm just a lovable guy (let's face it), and you end up with me seeing someone I know just about every five minutes outside, in this city of 80,000 or so people, and exchanging greetings. My companion is always amazed. I'll be real - I think it's pretty awesome.

We were talking to this lady the other day. She started going off about something random, and we stood there listening, and listening, and listening... Then, I noticed a spider in her hair. I played with the idea of saying something, or saying nothing. Then I thought-- maybe this is a blessing in disguise! Maybe this is God is giving us a way out! I wasted no time. "Sorry to interrupt you, but you have a big SPIDER in your hair." Que freak out. Elders exit, stage right.
Yesterday was Easter! I hope that you all had a fantastic Easter. The service was great, we saw miracles with an investigator, and we had a delicious meal by a member. We also thought we'd take some time to go knock doors. "Hello! My companion and I are sharing a special message about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ!" "Come on, guys. Not today. It's Easter, for Pete's sake." Draw your own conclusions.

Elder Goates and I enjoyed every minute of it, though. What a privilege, to be able to share this gospel with others, the reason behind Easter -- the sacrifice out of love. The eternal potential we appreciate because of that infinite and eternal sacrifice of Jesus Christ. It really is amazing. Actually...it's awesome.

Until next week. Remember the reason for this season! Stay true.
--Elder Bonney
The elders of District Almere, keeping it real. Yes, I had to support the most weight. Lean on me, brethren.


No comments:

Post a Comment