Monday, September 9, 2013

Week 13: "So what do you use to brush your teeth?!"

September 9, 2013
Well, it had to get hard at some point.

This past week has probably been THE most stressful week of my life (though that is debatable). Where to begin...

Well, this past Wednesday, I said goodbye to Elder Eastmond and welcomed Elder Toole. Essentially, I said goodbye to experience and welcomed responsibility. Before I say anything about my companionship, I would like to preface it with this: I love Elder Toole; he has a heart of gold and is a great, sincere missionary. Now that I've said that... We simply cannot overlook the fact that neither he nor I has much experience. Since I've already been in Kortrijk for a transfer, I'm expected to 'take over' the city. Speaking a foreign language. Of which my companion speaks even less. But, I started off optimistically -- this would be the "transfer of miracles," I said. It would have to be. Shortly after I made that statement, I was informed by this crazy excommunicated lady who attends our branch that our star investigator has become a Jehovah's Witness and no longer wants to meet with us (so far unconfirmed). And, one of our Muslim friends told me I need to change, or I'd face hellfire.

It's been a rough week.

A crazy man came up to Elder Toole and I this past week when we were walking somewhere. He started talking AT us in rapid Flemish. I could understand a portion of what he said, but he was using a lot of words I didn't know. Elder Toole had no clue what was going on, and this crazy man could tell, so he switched to English. Then he told us about how 1) our solar system is going to collide with another solar system this December, 2) the governments of the world know this and have prepared large shelters which can only house half a billion people, and 3) said governments are thus trying to kill off 6.5 billion people so there are no problems with the shelters. He then proceeded to tell us how the governments are killing people -- the obviously fake war in Syria, cancer-causing cell phones, and many other ways -- including through fluoride. Those sneaky governments! Our friend (his name is Maxim, but don't tell anyone; the Belgian government might find out and try to shut our freedom fighter down) told us that fluoride toothpaste was deadly! By now, as you can imagine, I'm panicking. I need those white teeth! Almost shaking with shock, I ask him, "So how do you brush your teeth?!" "The solution is simple, but less known - I will tell you. Simply use toothpaste... WITHOUT flouride."

Glad we solved that.

I had a fever on Thursday, so we stayed inside most of the day 'cause I was sick as a dog. But, being stuck inside made me feel like a horrible missionary, so Elder Toole and I went out for a few hours in the afternoon (not the best idea for my health, it turned out, but no matter).

I got to witness a baptism this past Friday -- one of Brugge's investigators got baptized. It was a really good experience, seeing the fruits of missionary labors. Elder Toole's old trainer, still serving in Brugge, turns to Elder Toole and I, and says, teary-eyed, "that's what it's all about, guys."

That's what it's all about. Helping people come closer to Christ. Not to mention the Kortrijk branch is still my absolute favorite -- so adorable. That's why we're sticking it out in this little Belgian town. There are ups, there are downs, there are times you think you'll die of stress, but you need to remember what it's all about.

Until next week. Use toothpaste carefully. I hope to see you all in the shelter this December.

--Elder Bonney


Elder Eastmond and my last minute together. We had bought matching ties. I miss that elder.
 Elder Toole and I, taken a couple weeks ago on P-day -- before we knew we'd become companions.

No comments:

Post a Comment