Monday, September 30, 2013

Week 16: "Don't think, with the last sheet in sight, that whoever comes next will be alright."

September 30, 2013

Hey guys! This week actually went by pretty quickly. It was nice. I can't believe that Monday is here already again... Time is a funny thing on a mission. Some weeks are like days; some are like months.

I'll have you all know that I managed to find a new bike for sale, not too expensive. Then, I went and bought a good lock. Like, a really good lock. Oh, fun fact: if you go to tell the police that your bike was stolen, and it didn't have a city tag or whatever on it, they will respond with, "Okay...? Go steal another! Just don't let us see." So, yeah. That's cool.

Between my bike getting stolen and me getting a new one, our thug less-active friend (who I will start referring to as 'Chile') let me borrow his 800 euro mountain bike. Which was awesome -- it works really well, and is really fun to ride. Except...one day, Elder Toole and I are riding home from an appointment with our ward mission leader. We somehow decide to start racing. Now, Chile's bike can go fast. Like, really fast. Elder Toole and I are cruising, then there's a light... I think I'll be one cool cat and skid to a quick stop. Chile's bike says otherwise -- its brakes work really well. When I brake before the light, the wheels both immediately stop, and the bike flips over, back wheel over front wheel. All I remember is Elder Toole lifting the bike off of me, and getting up, with torn suit pants and bloody hands. Oh, memories.

We went back down to Brussels this past Friday for legality reasons -- I picked up my Belgian residency card. There were about 25 missionaries there. Between the time we finished and when our train left, we had about 2 hours, so we got some food and went to see the famous gem of Brussels: the 'Mannekin Pis' statue. I don't know if I have been so disappointed by a statue... He's so small! I'll attach a picture. Like... I have no words to describe this. I knew he'd be a small guy, but I thought he'd be a little bigger.

On Wednesday, we spent most the day in Antwerpen for a zone conference. Our mission President (President Robinson), Sister Robinson, and President Boom (Antwerpen stake president) spoke. It was inspiring and enlightening. President Boom shared a common Dutch saying with us, which translates into "don't think, with the last sheet in sight, that whoever comes next will be alright." Yes, he is referring to toilet paper. But, he said that we can't make the assumption about the gospel that someone else will share it if we don't. Now is the time. We are the responsible ones. There are souls to be saved, and we're called to find them.

Missionary work is still hard, but good. I'm learning things that will help me throughout the rest of my life. If my companion and I are working hard and doing our best, then we are successful missionaries. And, if we can bring a few souls to Christ while we're at it, all the better.

Oh -- and I'm super stoked for Algemene Conferentie (General Conference). More stoked than I've ever been.

Stay cool, stay true.

--Elder Bonney

Elder Toole, Elder Bitters (who was in the MTC with Elder Toole and me), and yours truly, standing in front of the disappointing Mannekin Pis statue.

 Elder Cook and me, reunited at zone conference -- the dream team.



1 comment:

  1. Elder Bonney, I love reading your weekly posts! I am so proud of you and all you are doing. Thank you for sharing, living, and doing the Lord's work. If you are still doing your weekly email I would love to receive it. Many hugs!

    ReplyDelete