Monday, March 10, 2014

Week 39: "Can I take a selfie with you?"

March 10. 2014
Hey, guys.
 
It wasn't a bad week. Not at all. Not too exciting, and I have a clock in the corner of the computer ticking my time down (I'm emailing at a library in Almere today), but I'll share what I can. Okay.
 
Another week come and gone. Wow. So, let's see... Well, it was just another week in the life of a Mormon missionary. Teaching lessons, knocking doors, talking to people, and eating food that will make you fatter, no matter how much you exercise. It's a good life. We talked to a guy on the street a few days ago (well, actually, he came up to us). He informed us that he didn't believe in God - but, he believed in aliens. I told him that you can believe in God and aliens. He got this *mind=blown* expression on his face, then left.
 
On Saturday, all the missionaries in the Den Haag zone headed down to Zoetermeer (the city that contains the Den Haag temple, which isn't actually in Den Haag). Zoetermeer recently got a new building -- it's an amazing building, by the way -- and they are soon having an open house. We were all there to go to respective shopping centers/city centrums and hand out fliers, inviting people to the open house. Elder Goates and I were assigned to a dinky little shopping center (in what I'd like to say was downtown Zoetermeer, but all I really saw of the area was the shopping area, so I couldn't say).
 
We had a blast handing out fliers. One lady and her husband excitedly take a flier, saying that they'd heard about this new Mormon church building and wanted to go see it. I gladly gave them a flier. A while later, they came out of the shopping center, and she came up to me again. She asked if there was any way that they could see the inside of the temple. I responded with a grin, "well, when you show up to the open house, there will be some people there with nametags just like mine. That would be a good question to ask them. They'd be happy to tell you!" She told me that she and her husband would be looking forward to it.
 
At some point of the flier-handing-out, a 20-ish dude comes up to me. He asks, "mag ik een selfie met je nemen?" ("may I take a selfie with you?") Go for it, man. He did. Not sure why -- either he'd always wanted a picture with a Mormon missionary, or he'd never seen such a good-looking one before. I haven't decided yet. I just hope he uses the picture for good, not evil.
 
Last night, we were knocking doors. One guy started yelling at us from the front balcony of his apartment complex. Turns out, he'd locked himself outside his apartment (and judging by the comments of one witty neighbor, we could say he locked himself outsideagain). He wanted us to climb onto his back balcony, enter his back door, find his key, and let him in through the front door. We politely declined. I'm not exactly sure what Jesus would do in such a situation, but the locksmith showed up right when we were leaving, so I think he'll be okay.
 
That's all for today. But hey -- stay classy. The big man Elder Goates and I are having a killer time in Lelystad. Also, we're getting some amazing weather. 20 degrees Celsius? I think so. Not sure what that is in Fahrenheit, but trust me -- it's nice. And hey, remember where you put your keys. Until next week!
 
--Elder Bonney

No comments:

Post a Comment