Thursday, August 15, 2013

Week 4, still at the MTC -- "Too Bad, Peanut Cheese"

July 9, 2013
Goede dag, iedereen!

I can't believe it's already time to send another email. Sometimes, in the classroom, the days are like weeks, but oftentimes, the weeks themselves feel like days. I can't believe I've been in the MTC for almost a month. Two weeks from now, I will be in the Netherlands! I have a feeling these next two weeks will fly by. This Friday, all us missionaries in my district get our travel plans for our flight to the Netherlands -- I'm so excited!
So, this past week included the 4th of July. The MTC announced a special 4th of July program for that night, which entailed watching the LDS film "17 Miracles," a movie about the struggles of the early Mormon pioneers, and going outside on the MTC campus to watch fireworks. The movie was extremely good -heartbreaking at times, but good. Just to see the trials and persecution the early Mormon pioneers went through, what they sacrificed, makes me feel like this two year sacrifice is the least I could give. After the movie, we got to watch BYU's 'Stadium of Fire' fireworks (from within the confines of the MTC fence, of course). We could hear the crowd cheering. It was a nice reminder that there are other, normal people out in the world...
De Nederlands taal (the Dutch language) is still coming along. I feel like I can say a lot, feel like I can communicate, but I fear that July 23, the day I arrive in the Netherlands, is going to hit me like a brick in the face. Our teachers are so great, though -- Broeder Klippel and Zuster Moses put up with the ten of us missionaries (especially the six of us elders -- long hours in the klaslokaal have us crazy sometimes) in the best of times (cooperative, alert, soaking it all in) and the worst of times (dozing off, not paying attention, dozing off...). I honestly envy and admire their patience. They have taught us so much, and both of them, having served in the Belgium/Netherlands mission, are so in love with those people. It is great to hear them talk about their experiences there, and it gets us really excited -- sometimes on days when we really need it. I just know that those two were such great missionaries, so lost in the work.
My district is on fire (figuratively speaking). We get so much studying and language study done, and one of our teachers has told us we've learned more than the other districts -- by the end of this week, we will have covered just about all the language material in our MTC basic language book, a week early. We just need to master all the concepts. How hard can it be? Probably just as hard as the brick of Dutch that's going to hit me in the face in two weeks.
My companion is still as interesting as ever. He often wanders off frequently without telling me where he's going, and I have to spend a few minutes finding him. And, his constant off-key singing is killing me. KILLING me. But, he's growing in the MTC, and he is going to be one diligent, enthusiastic greenie. I wish his first companion in the field, his trainer, luck with bridling his excitement. His Dutch gets better every day (though he says "good job" and "good luck" in Dutch when he gets excited about something -- even if it has nothing to do with the situation. It's a work in progress).
This past week, my testimony of the restoration has grown so much. I have no doubt in my mind that Joseph Smith was divinely called to be a prophet, and that he translated the Book of Mormon with the power of God. Learning more about what he went through, the faith he had to have to make it through his trials -- how could the man not be a man of God. There is no doubt in my mind.
That's all for this week! Next Tuesday will probably be my last email before I get to the Netherlands. Also, thank you to everyone who has sent me letters or DearElders -- you are the best. If you're planning on sending me a letter anytime soon, the last day I'll be able to receive letters is not this Saturday, but the next -- July 20.
Oh, and "too bad, peanut cheese?" Well, this past week, we learned that a common phrase is "helaas pindakaas" (pronounced 'hey lass, pend a kass'). It translates directly into "too bad, peanut cheese." In Nederland, they call peanut butter 'peanut cheese.' What's up with that, anyway? Well, they say it because it rhymes. Go figure.
Jullie zijn geweldig!! Have a great week. Until next week!
Veel liefs,
Elder Bonney
PS. No pictures this week. But, you can imagine me doing something, as you see fit. Just as good as a picture, ja?

No comments:

Post a Comment