Monday, May 11, 2015

Week 100: "It's Enrique Iglesias! I'm feeling like we should maybe go...towards the music."

May 11, 2015

Wow. My hundreth week. Who would have ever thought I'd make it this far? I remember back when my weeks were in the single digits, and two years seemed like it would be an eternity, that it would never end. Now, I only have a little more than two weeks left.

This past week was a good one. I'm learning an important lesson about enduring to the end - the closer I get to the end, the harder it is to keep going strong. It reminds me of when I was a child. In a ridiculously high percentage of all the instances when I wet my pants, the sad event happened when I was in the bathroom. I don't know what it is, but in those last few seconds, your bladder has the hardest time! (Don't try to tell me it isn't true for you.) If I liken that to my current situation, I would say that I'm remembering (consciously and subconsciously) all of the things I left behind that I'd kind of forgotten, a lot of the sacrifices. And it makes the final stretch a bit harder... When I was a kid, I remember, in those strenuous moments, telling myself I had two choices. First, hold on a little longer, in spite of the extreme discomfort, and make it to the toilet, or two, have to change my pants. And deal with the embarassment of telling my dad. (My dad is great, but for some reason, he was never happy when I told him that I'd wet my pants...again.) In these final weeks, whenever I keep the end goal in mind, and the blessings that enduring for the last bit will bring, I get motivated to stay focused.

Excuse me if my analogy seems a little crude, but hey -- a man has got to express the feelings of my heart. (Or his bladder. Sorry. I'll move on to higher thoughts.)

The work definitely has been picking up here in Tilburg. Our "Amulek" investigator from a few weeks ago is still doing great -- it's awesome to see the Spirit work with him. We've also found a few new people. On Tuesday, we were knocking doors, and this woman (maybe 30 years old?) in a wheelchair answers the door. After a nice, short conversation, she told us we were welcome to come back another time. We were in the neighborhood the next day, so we thought, why not? We dropped by, and she let us in. We were able to teach a great lesson about the restoration and the Book of Mormon, and she was super open. We're hoping to be able to teach her again this week. I learned an important lesson on gratitude while teaching her -- she wasn't raised religious, so I asked her how she came to believe in God. She responded with something along the lines of "because there are so many beautiful things in the world." This woman is in a wheelchair, and still she chooses to see the good. She doesn't limit her gratitude (or her happiness, for that matter) to her circumstances. That's something I still have room to work on.

Later that day, we were knocking doors in an area close to where we'd worked before. Suddenly, I started hearing soft music, like it was coming from far away. As I listened closer, I realized that it was an Enrique Iglesias song that I'd really liked back home, a song I hadn't heard in almost two years. I said, half jokingly, "hey, Elder Byers! It's Enrique Iglesias! I'm feeling like we should maybe go...towards the music." My companion just laughed, and we headed towards the source of the music. After walking for about twenty seconds, we turned a corner, and boom -- there was a kids' party going on in the park. At that point, I started to feel a little creepy, and the song ended, so we started walking away, a different direction than the one from which we came. We realized that we were right by a super cool woman we'd found earlier who we'd never been able to get in contact with. We'd kind of given up on her, but since we had ended up in that area, we gave it a shot. She was home, and she was more than willing to set a solid appointment with us for this week. Sometimes, good things happen in funny ways. God played off of my strengths that day (humor me by allowing me to call missing normal music a strength...haha).

On Saturday, we had a lunch appointment with a Columbian family from the branch, the Peña family. I'd talked to them a lot at church, but since they live so far away from Tilburg and work a lot, we'd never eaten there before. We took a forty minute bus ride out to their town, Baarle-Nassau. It's an interesting place -- part of it is technically in Belgium, the other part in the Netherlands. But it's not even like it's split in half; there are just fragments of the city that are considered to be part of Belgium. There were these dotted lines on the sidewalks and roads informing everyone what was Belgium and what was the Netherlands. I'd never been to a city like that before. We had a really fun lunch appointment with the Peña family, by the way -- they were great.

Yesterday was, of course, Mother's Day (Moederdag!), so I got to Skype my family! My fourth and final Skype. It was weird to think that, in just a few weeks, I'll be seeing them in person. I also gave a talk in church. It was a nice moment of reflection -- two years ago, on Mother's Day, I gave my farewell talk. Weird, right? I've changed a lot since then, that's for sure.

Well, I'm out. Be good and enjoy life. Until next week!
-Elder Bonney
 
In Baarle-Nassau, by one of the markers. I never thought it would be so easy to be in two countries at the same time - go figure.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment