Saturday, August 16, 2014

Week 55: "Yeah, there's no way all that stuff is gonna fit."

June 30, 2014

So yesterday, we were sitting in our house with the other two Eindhoven elders, and the Netherlands was playing against Mexico in the World Cup. We kept hearing yells and cheers whenever they scored, but we also heard a lot of loud sighs... I wasn't sure how to interpret it all. I guess that's something different about serving in a bigger city -- not only do you hear them score, you hear them miss. A little bit before 8 PM, though, we heard some wild cheering. Then, the text came (from a member kind enough to keep us op de hoogte) -- the Netherlands BEAT Mexico 2-1, and will be advancing in the WK. Ohhh yeah. Stay tuned. We play Costa Rica on Saturday.
I am in Eindhoven now! Tuesday night, I started packing. Oh boy. After being in a city for so long, not only had my stuff spread throughout the apartment, but I had accumulated a lot of stuff. Fitting it in was a challenge. I had it all spread out in the front room, and my companion came in the room... "yeah, there's no way all that stuff is gonna fit." Challenge accepted. ...It didn't all fit. I had to leave some stuff behind :( But, seams stretched, zipper barely holding tight, everything fit in my suitcases. On Wednesday morning, all four of us Lelystad elders got on a train to Leiden. In Leiden, I said goodbye to Elder Henderson and the others, then headed off to the mission office. There, I met up with my new companion, Elder Alston. We threw my stuff in the back of the car (you know that's right), then drove down to Eindhoven. After almost six months in Lelystad, my time there has come to a close. It's the beginning of a new era.
By the way, my new address:

Kluizenaarstraat 13
5641 HE Eindhoven
the Netherlands

We live in a house here. A HOUSE. It's pretty great.
Eindhoven is a great city. It's big, but not too big, and it's beautiful here, down south. I got to meet many of the ward members yesterday, and they seem like really good people. I'm excited to get to know them better. My companion is a really good guy -- we get along pretty well. He's from South Jordan and has been on his mission for a few months more than I have. We live with the two other Eindhoven elders -- Elder Hills and...Elder Nelson! That's right, my big, funny, lovable companion from my second transfer in Groningen. He's on the last transfer of his mission now. It's fun living with him again.
Yes, we've got a car. Unfortunately... I'm not allowed to drive it. Yeah. In order to drive in the mission, you have to have a Belgian driver's license, and the only way for an American to get a Belgian driver's license is to trade in their American license. For one reason or another, I do not have an American license, just a permit (I cannot believe how unmanly this is). I can't trade in a permit. So, my companion (who doesn't enjoy driving all that much) has to drive all the time, and I have to sit in the passenger seat. I feel a little weird. It's like I'm his wife. I do get to work the GPS, though. That's important, right? Important lesson: make sure you get a license before your mission, boys and girls.
On Monday (when I was still in Lelystad), we had a combined zone p-day -- Den Haag and Rotterdam zones got together to play sports in Den Haag. It was pretty fun. It was very sunny, warm, and a little windy, so it felt nice. None of us noticed as the sun slowly and evilly fried us. It was good to see some of my MTC buddies -- Elder Moomey, Elder Pouwer, Sister Brophy, Sister Thorley, and others. I still can't believe that it's been over a year since we all first gathered in that tiny MTC classroom (it was way too small for ten people, but we had way too much fun in that tiny room). On the way home, my skin started to feel weird. By the time we got back to Lelystad, I knew it -- I was burnt. At least, I thought I was burnt. Then I saw my companion. He was burnt. He was wearing a lower cut shirt, so he had a funny burn line. Haha.
The day before I headed out of Lelystad, we went to go visit some of our favorite members. All four of us elders were there. They said, since it was the last time for some of us, that they'd gotten us a Dutch delicacy. Oh. My mind flashed back to three days before, eating raw herring -- "never again," we all said. Then the member busted out raw herring. So much for that... We all ate it. Again. This time with a fork. It was worse the second time. The irony of the situation still kills me.
For now, there's not too much to tell. My comp and I have spent a lot of time planning for our zone. I'm excited for what will happen here in Eindhoven. I'll be sure to let you guys know. For now, I'm peacing out. Hup Holland!
Keep it real. Raw fish isn't meant to be eaten.
-Elder Bonney
Me and my Almere district boyz.

Saying goodbye to Elder Henderson in Leiden Centraal!

No comments:

Post a Comment