Monday, December 30, 2013

Week 28: "What is going on?! Nobody is wearing pants."

December 23, 2013

This is the week in which we remember Christ's birth.

Over 2000 years ago, He was born. He did a lot of extremely important things, things of significance which I cannot even begin to describe. He lived a perfect life of service and love. Fast forward to now. I, Elder Bonney, am in Europe, spending every day just trying to share a special message with those who will listen. And enjoying it. Isn't that crazy? Why would I do that?

Because of what He did. These two years are NOTHING compared to his life of service and sacrifice. Whether you believe or not, it doesn't change what He did; I know it, and I'll be eternally grateful. True happiness is achievable because of His sacrifice. The very least I could do is give two years. Don't ever forget the reason for the season.

We've been gone a lot this week. On Tuesday, we helped "blitz" Leeuwarden as a district -- the Leeuwarden sisters have been struggling to find new people, so the district leader decided that a blitz would be the right solution. A blitz is when all the missionaries in the district go finding for an hour or two in the city of one companionship, and then they give all the potentials they find to that companionship. The last time the district blitzed Leeuwarden, though, they only got one potential (who turned out to be a crazy and possibly violent and possibly homeless man...). So, it was a risk to do it again. This time, though, lots of members of the district were praying that this blitz would be successful. On Tuesday, at 1 PM, we all went out. Around 2:45 PM, we came back. Leeuwarden got fifteen new potential investigators in that time period. The Lord provides.

On Wednesday, my companion had to go down to Brussels for legality. I was paired up in Enschede with Elder Torniainen for the day -- a smiley greenie from Finland. We had a fun day (even though all their appointments fell through). It was funny -- he's telling me that I've been out so long. I feel like it was just yesterday that I was on my first transfer. I thought, come on! I'm not so different than you! Am I not still a greenie? Then I realize that I've been a missionary for almost six and a half months. Time goes by too quickly. Anyways, at one point in the evening, we walk outside of some sort of bar, and there are a lot of people -- including a lot of girls in short skirts. Elder Torniainen (who sometimes says things that sound funny in his English) says, "what is going on?! Nobody is wearing pants." I realized, wrapped up in my jacket and scarf, that wearing short skirts is ridiculous in this time of year. Apparently it's even more ridiculous to do so in Finland. Who knew? Go figure.

My love for the members here just keeps on growing. Something happened to a less active member, and my comp and I went and visited him in the clinic yesterday. This less active and I had become good friends. He was in a rough state. Seeing him like that broke my heart a little.

We were visiting an inactive old man, Tex, with a cool member of our ward, Jan. Jan asked Tex about a certain missionary, if he remembered a certain missionary. Then Jan says, "he was the missionary who baptized me. I love him." You could just see the gratefulness in his eyes. I think he started to tear up. Since Jan and his family were baptized when he was a kid, he's served a full-time mission, married a convert he met on said mission, been sealed in the temple, raised a strong gospel-centered family, and had many important callings. This gospel changed his life. I can only hope that I do the same for someone else. In 50 years, I want someone to say, "did you ever know Elder Bonney? He helped me find the gospel that changed my life." I want to help someone else find that happiness, the happiness only found in this gospel.

Merry Christmas, everyone. Fijne feestdagen.

Much love,
Elder Bonney

No comments:

Post a Comment