Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Week 19: ''Oh, you have a Flemish accent. That's cute"

October 21, 2013
Hoi, everyone!

Yes, I am now in the great, icy north -- Groningen! Last Wednesday morning, after some sad goodbyes (Chile and his friend got up early to come to the train station to say goodbye), Elder Toole and I boarded a train to Antwerpen. From there, I bid Elder Toole farewell and got on a train with some other missionaries to Rotterdam Centraal. Then, another one to Leiden...then one to Utrecht Centraal...another to Zwolle...then finally, one to Groningen. All the while with all my luggage and a bike in tow. And thus was the longest transfer possible in the mission completed.

My new companion is Elder Besendorfer. He's going on his second transfer (I'm going on my third), and I'll be his senior companion and help him finish up his in-field training. Technically, I'm a trainer...weird. Elder Besendorfer is from Spanish Fork, Utah. He just graduated high school this past May. He knows the scriptures like the back of his hand (what 18 year old has read the Book of Mormon 17 times??), and he's basically an apostle. His Dutch is coming along well, too, for a second-transfer missionary. We make a good team -- I can speak Dutch well, and he is a monk when it comes to knowing scripture. We're both ready to work hard and see some miracles.

I haven't been here for too long, but I am loving Groningen! It is definitely a change from Kortrijk. The wind here is insane -- I've almost gotten blown off my bike a few times (not even joking) and there was one time when we were riding at a pretty good speed, then a gust of wind came head-on, and we literally almost stopped moving. Also, the rain here is cold, and when combined with the wind, it's killer. But, this city is great. It's so big -- so many university students, too! And holy woah, so many bikes. It is said to be the number one or number two biking city in the world. I believe it. Oh, and the language here is way different than Kortrijk!! I miss my Flams!! I had a way hardcore Flemish accent when I got here...it was embarrassing. I'm still trying to eradicate it. Dutch people make SO MUCH fun of Belgians. Last week, at a young adult (JoVo) activity, I was asked to introduce myself. I said (with a little bit of a Flams accent) that I was still trying to get rid of my Flams accent. One of the guys told me that my efforts to change were "schattig" (closest translation -- cute, in a sort of condescending way. Like, oh, you think you can speak real Dutch. That's cute.). But, it's almost completely gone now. Gelukkig.

The ward here is pretty big, as far as Europe wards go. About eighty people were there yesterday. There are two sets of elders (us, then Elder Nelson and Elder England, who we share an apartment and a lot of fun with) and one set of sisters (Sister Heilner and Sister Larson). It's nice, having other missionaries in the city.

Well, it's early and I'm tired, and I can't think of what else to write for now. I'm sure I'll have many interesting stories to come. Stay cool, stay real. Peace and blessings.

--Elder Bonney
 
This is my last picture with Elder Toole.

Me with my new comp, Elder Besendorfer, after a very wet ride home from an appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment